Monday, April 30, 2007

Michael Waltrip Suggest Change To Qualifying

Last week Michael Waltrip (Driver/owner of MWR - Michael Waltrip Racing) suggested that there needs to be a change in qualifying. I think I agree that there should be some kind of change.

Here is what Waltrip thinks should happen. “They ought to draw for qualifying, like they do now,” Waltrip said. “Then, the top 35 go out one through 35. Then you’ve got this drama built. Then you let the scrubs go out. Let’s see who has got what. Seven of these guys are going to make it. It would be more fair if we were right there together.”

Right now the top 35 are garaunteed a spot based on owner points. The rest of the qualifiers then have to squeeze in by qualifying times filling the remaining 8 positions. And actually one of those positions is reserved for any former series champion that may not have made it by qualifying.

It is understandable that he might think this since he has not qualified for the last 8 races this season, only qualifying for the Daytona 500. I think that everyone would agree that his failure to qualify is the only reason he is bring this up. If he was not the driver/owner of MWR this year, this probably would not have even been a thought.

But what does not seem fair to me is that Michael Waltrip had the 19th fastest qualifying time for the Aaron's 499. 19th and he was not able to race. Something about that system does not seem right to me, but I don't know what the fix should be.

Should you only race based on qualifying time and NOT on owners points? That does not sound exactly fair to me either. How about the top 25 in owner points is locked in? I don't know. I just don't know. But having the 19th fastest qualifying time and not being able to race just does not seem right. And if there is ever a change to the system, and I doubt there will be, then something should be left in for former champions.

No comments: