March 18, 2007
Gillette's "Young Guns" -- that's Jimmie Johnson, Kurt Busch, Kasey Kahne, Carl Edwards, Jamie McMurray and Ryan Newman -- are coaching a field of celebrities through a NASCAR reality series.
Six 30-minute episodes and a one-hour final are being shot at Lowe's Motor Speedway in Charlotte, N.C., and will run before NBA Finals games on ABC in June.
Handicapping some of the well-groomed celebrity drivers (that's show producer Gillette's rule; no "stubble or scruff of any kind"):
• William Shatner: Maybe he'll just sit in the backseat and let Sulu steer.
• John Elway: Ever heard of The Drive?
• John Salley: He was a Piston. And a spare part.
• Jewel: Might be tempted to sleep in her car, like the old days.
• Ty Murray: Jewel's rodeo cowboy boyfriend is used to horsepower.
• John Cena: NASCAR gives WWE champ a chance to show his cerebral side.
• Tony Hawk: Dude is the only one whose day job actually involves wheels.
• Laird Hamilton: The surfer was gettin' bugged driving up and down the same old strip. Now he can go 'round, 'round, get around, he gets around.