Saturday, August 11, 2007

NASCAR Basics - Track Types - Followed By a Question

Ok, Lets take a look at what it takes to make a track a Road Course, Intermediate, Short or Superspeedway. I am getting this information from NASCAR.com.

I do have a question about this which I will ask at the end.

Short Track -
An oval racetrack that is less than 1 mile in length.

Intermediate Track -
An oval that is greater than 1 mile in length, but less than 2 miles in length.

Road Course -
A racing circuit comprised of left- and right-hand turns, as opposed to an oval which is comprised exclusively of left-hand turns.

Superspeedway-
A racetrack that is greater than 2 miles in length.
(**NOTICE IT DOES NOT SAY ANYTING ABOUT BEING AN OVAL)**

Ok, that is all pretty simple and easy to understand. These are the definitions off of NASCAR.com on there TRACKS PAGE.

Alright, forgive my ignorance or whatever. But I never really paid attention to this before starting this blog. I always just figured that the Superspeedways were Talladega and Daytona.

He is my question(s). Why aren't Pocono, Indianapolis, Michigan and others scored as SuperSpeedways? There are listed on NASCAR.COM as Superspeedways, but when it comes to the numbers they are added as Intermediate tracks.

According to NASCAR.COM, here is what they have listed as Superspeedways -

1.Daytona
2.Fontana
3.Indianapolis
4.Michigan
5.Pocono
6.Talladega

HMMMM, well me being as picky and anal as I can be don't see why all these are Superspeedways and I don't understand why some of them aren't scored as Superspeedways.

Why do they have Michigan and Fontana listed as Superspeedway's. They are 2 mile tracks.

And why don't they Score Indianapolis and Pocono as Superspeedways? They are 2.5 miles tracks?

Also, I can not think of it right now and I have been racking my brain, but I could have sworn that there was a Short Track scored as an Intermediate or and Intermediate scored as a Short Track, but for the life of me I can't remember.

When I first started this blog, I started paying attention to that. I also started paying attention when I listed a track as a Superspeedway (because I was looking at NASCAR.COM) and Newman's Intermediate stats were updated.

And overall, if NASCAR wants to list those as Superspeedways that is fine. I have no problem with that. But then they should score them as Superspeedways.

HMMM....Just wondering. If you have the answer, I would appreciate it. Just something that bugs me --- just a little.

No comments: