AVONDALE, Ariz. (April 19, 2007) –
Once again, Ryan Newman, driver of the No. 12 Alltel Dodge Avenger, drew an early qualifying position -- third out of 50 cars -- and that adversely affected his two-lap run in Thursday's time trials for this weekend's Subway Fresh Fit 500 at Phoenix International Raceway.
The quicker of Newman’s two laps put him on the provisional pole with a time of 27.517 seconds, a speed of 130.828 mph, but it was only seven cars later when Dale Earnhardt Jr. knocked Newman from the top spot.
“We put down the two best laps that we had and it was a good run so far, but the track will get better as qualifying goes on, so we won’t be on the pole much longer,” Newman said after climbing from his Alltel Dodge. “If we had gotten a later draw, we probably would be able to start near the front on Saturday night, but there’s too many cars left to go. We’ve got a good car for the race, though. We’ll be all right.”
Saturday night’s Subway Fresh Fit 500 will air live on FOX and MRN Radio beginning at 8:30 p.m. EDT.
Line-up for Subway Fresh Fit 500:
1. Jeff Gordon, No. 24 DuPont Chevrolet
2. Jamie McMurray, No. 26 Crown Royal Ford
3. Denny Hamlin, No. 11 FedEx Chevrolet
4. Scott Riggs, No. 10 Valvoline/Stanley Tools Dodge
5. Jimmie Johnson, No. 48 Lowe’s Chevrolet
6. Kurt Busch, No. 2 Miller Lite Dodge
19. Ryan Newman, No. 12 Alltel Dodge
Official Ryan Newman Fan Club